[Peeweelinux] project status

Stefan Willmert [email protected]
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:20:11 -0600

Hello,
I've used PWL to initially create our embedded system. Because it wasn't
updated though, I made my own custom scripts with updated kernel, libraries,
etc, and built an install for my purposes.

I don't have much freetime either, but would be happy to contribute what i
can to the advancement of PWL. If someone wants to take the lead, and
organize the necessary changes, please let me know how i can help.

-stefan willmert

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Adi Linden
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 9:12 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Peeweelinux] project status

Hi,

You're asking a difficult question. I have a list of things I'd like to do
with PeeWeeLinux. Perhaps the most significant is to build a dedicated
build environment that one chroots into for building PeeWeeLinux binaries.
This would be part of the source distribution. The idea is to make
PeeWeeLinux independent of the underlying Linux distribution and version.
Now the binaries were linked against the existing system libraries, then
the binaries will be linked against PeeWeeLinux libraries.

Beyond that, I think 2.4.x kernal is need in addition to what's there and
some of the binaries need to be updated. With the above environment and
proper scripting it should be pretty easy to rebuild all of the
PeeWeeLinux packages automatically. A big improvement when it comes to
updating libraries. That might even allow for a PeeWeeLinuxLite version,
linked against ulibc...

Right now my problem is time. I mentioned the above before and hoped long
time ago to have time to work on PeeWeeLinux again. My job has not brought
any new embedded Linux projects as I hoped, instead im very busy building
a satellite network. What little time I have left is mostly spend with
family. What I need is a couple of weeks or so of uncommited evenings to
get the basics of the ground. I am now hoping for that break to come
shortly after Christmas, all the things that keep me busy now should be
wrapped up then.

I open to input, if anyone wants to contribute and make these things
happen, I'd love to assist in any way I can to get things integrated
smoothly and take PeeWeeLinux to the next level.

Adi