[Peeweelinux] Hello and a question

Tom Schneider [email protected]
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:41:35 -0600

--------------030905030700050909080200

Ed,
I was able to run the 2.4 kernel with the existing packages, the only
thing I changed initially was the kernel, the kernel modules, and the
modutils package.  I then made sure I could boot the new kernel.  Then I
upgraded packages as necessary.  The way I upgraded the packages was to
manually create the tar and list file myself.
For example:
rpm2cpio xxx.rpm | cpio -dim  (extracts a redhat package to the current
directory)
tar cf xxx.tar *  (tars up all the files in the package)
tar tf xxx.tar > xxx.list ( creates the necessary list file)
copy xxx.tar and xxx.list to the packages directory in peewee linux and
you're all set.
Tom

Ed Anuff wrote:

>Were you able to use the RH 7.3 packages as is, or did you need to rebuild
>them?  I got stalled when I tried using the 2.4 kernel because although
>building the kernel itself wasn't too bad, hunting down all the packages
>that needed to be upgraded seemed daunting.
>
>Ed

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Ed,<br>
I was able to run the 2.4 kernel with the existing packages, the only thing
I changed initially was the kernel, the kernel modules, and the modutils
package. &nbsp;I then made sure I could boot the new kernel. &nbsp;Then I upgraded
packages as necessary. &nbsp;The way I upgraded the packages was to manually create
the tar and list file myself.<br>
For example:<br>
rpm2cpio xxx.rpm | cpio -dim &nbsp;(extracts a redhat package to the current directory)<br>
tar cf xxx.tar * &nbsp;(tars up all the files in the package)<br>
tar tf xxx.tar &gt; xxx.list ( creates the necessary list file)<br>
copy xxx.tar and xxx.list to the packages directory in peewee linux and you're
all set.<br>
Tom<br>
Ed Anuff wrote:<br>
 cite="mid001e01c29329$4de439a0$[email protected]">
  <pre wrap="">Were you able to use the RH 7.3 packages as is, or did you need to rebuild
them?  I got stalled when I tried using the 2.4 kernel because although
building the kernel itself wasn't too bad, hunting down all the packages
that needed to be upgraded seemed daunting.

Ed

    <pre wrap="">I've had great luck with the latest 2.4 kernel. (2.4.18)  Plus I've
upgraded most of the standard peewee linux packages to the latest Redhat
7.3 packages.  I'm running on a PC/104 486 with 48 MB ram and 64 MB
disk-on-chip.  If you follow the tutorial and know your way around the
basics of kernel building, it's not too hard.  (If not, get the Kernel
Howto can fix that)
Tom

Ricardo Trindade wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">there is a guide to upgrading the kernel in the mailing list archives.