[Peeweelinux] newbie questions

Ricardo Trindade [email protected]
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:01:40 +0100

Hi,

	I'm using peewee on a 128Mb CF and sun's jre 1.3 fits in there. takes
almost half the card, but at least it's a full jvm

ricardo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Troy Engel
Sent: quinta-feira, 30 de Maio de 2002 22:02
To: peeweelinux
Subject: [Peeweelinux] newbie questions

Hiya folks, I have a few minor questions re: PWL if someone has a few
minutes.  We're building the prototype hardware right now, and I've got
a custom kernel (need >4 serial ports, shared IRQ) built and the PWL
filesystem onto my CF. yay!

I'm new to embedded/flash stuff, so sorry if this is basic.

1) /dev/sda1 contains the boot files, sda2 contains the OS. there's a
sda3 partition on the rest of the CF card (128meg card), which I want to
utilize as my own personal scratch space (this device reads from serial
ports and stores logfiles for later upload).  Can i just make ext2 on
/dev/sda3, and mount it in sda3/etc/fstab as hda3?  is it that simple?

sda2/etc/fstab looks like:

/dev/ram0       /               ext2    defaults
/dev/hda2       /mnt/flash      ext2    ro,noauto,defaults
none            /proc           proc    defaults

2) anyone have some quick primers on setting up the dhcpd/pump and ppp
with this distro?  I'm sure I could noodle around and figure out what to
put where, but it'd help if someone else had an example. ;)

3) java vm -- anyone gone through the pain and found a good one? (we're
looking at Waba, I think)

Any other wonderful words of advice would be great, so far I'm cruising
along with only a few hurdles.  I'm just beginning to get the hang of
how things work in the embedded space....

oh! with CF media, can I just use dd to dump the entire card to a file,
so I can duplicate it onto other cards? (ala a normal harddrive, block
device, etc)

thanks!
-te

--
Troy Engel, Systems Engineer
Hockey. Kinda like Figure Skating in a War Zone.