[Peeweelinux] newbie questions

Troy Engel [email protected]
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:38:04 -0700

Ricardo Trindade wrote:

> 	Why IBM instead of sun ? speed ?

Mainly because they have this nifty serial package that would support
all kinds of stuff -- our particular project requires reading from 5-7
serial ports to gather data, and spit it back out (upstream) via PPP or
ethernet.  So, the initial research made them stick out (and, a much
smaller footprint?)

> 	what's emlog ?

It's this "fake" /var/log/messages subsystem.  Basically,
/var/log/messages is actually a device node, and you insmod emlog.o on
bootup (you have to build it into your kernel, the options for emlog are
present in the "stock" 2.2.17 kernel provided by PWL).  What happens is
that it uses some sort of buffered, circular "last process only" stuff
(I'm not sure 100% the details), so that /var/log/messages is never a
real file, and therefore can't fill up your ram filesystem! tada. ;)
Very cool....

http://www.circlemud.org/~jelson/software/emlog/

-te

--
Troy Engel, Systems Engineer
Hockey. Kinda like Figure Skating in a War Zone.