[Peeweelinux] newbie questions

Troy Engel [email protected]
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:53:42 -0700

Hi Ricardo,

> Another issue is libnsl. This is necessary to run java, and isn't included
> in peewee, so you have to add it as a custom file. the library version of
> recent distributions (GBLIC2_2) is different from peewee (GBLIC2_1), so you
> probably won't be able to copy it from your desktop, but at least in RH7.2
> there's a directory with compatibility libs and you can just copy it from
> there.

Aha!  Very good, I had thought I needed to rebuild an entire glibc-2.1
in order to get this, but I'll just try grabbing it from a RH62
compatible set of libraries. Nice tip, thanks!

> One issue I'm pursuing is that I want to mount the filesystem readonly,
> would that interest you ?
>
> Another thing I'm trying to do is to use ext3, but for that I'm going to
> have to use another kernel. (if the above option works, I'm not going to
> follow this one, of course).

I'm actually going to do the same -- try and build a 2.4.18 kernel with
ext3 and 'emlog' support.  I am going to start that today, trying to
figure out how to get it to integrate into peeweelinux build system
(anyone have any pointers?)

> Hope you keep in touch, as I haven't found a lot of people interested in
> embedded java...

We're workin on it!  Right now we're trying different JDKs (sorta),
there's this nifty micro-java called 'Wonka' that's being tested by the
coding crew.  But, if I can get that libnsl working, maybe we can go
back to IBM JDK 1.3 instead....

-te

--
Troy Engel, Systems Engineer
Hockey. Kinda like Figure Skating in a War Zone.