[Peeweelinux] Uncompressed fail.

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:29:51 -0700 (PDT)

>Barry:
>         I only change the target 'style', the hole system is the same and
>the machine is the same (video card, mouse, etc.). As it is only
>uncompressed (or RO partition with multiple RAM) and the files fits without
>problem in the drive, I cannot know anything because if I comment the line
>with the Xserver in the rc file, all works fine, but if the Xserver is
>enabled, it locks the target PC. I cannot acces any log file.

If you do have a console attached, you could boot up in
runlevel 3 [ change this line in  etc/inittab :

id:5:initdefault

 change the 5 to a 3 and recopy your system ]  then you'll get a
login prompt.  Once logged in you type startx.   Well, I hope it's
startx, but embedded X may be stripped down to a simpler command.
This might let you find out what's up with X.

>         Is OK for me to use it compressed, but I think that can be faster
>to load an uncompressed file system.

With a slow hard drive and a fast processor, it's faster to load
less from the hard drive and let the CPU uncompress it.  But with
a flash disk and a not-so-fast processor, it may be the other way
around  You would have to test it.

>Better if I can save the memory for
>the RAM disk using a RO root partition. Maybe I'm wrong in this, but the RO
>filesystem with multiple RAM disks was faster and uses less memory than any
>other configuration. (this two tips are very important to me now). Please
>let me know if any of this asseverations is not right.

I don't know enough about this to help.

Barry