[Peeweelinux] Filesystem Issues

Troy Engel [email protected]
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:03:26 -0700

Stefan Willmert wrote:

> Now, for my questions:
> 1. I would like a read-only root filesystem on one partition, and a read-write
> 1a. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to use a read-write partition?

I solved this one by upgrading to kernel 2.4.18 (see my howto in
previous list archives), and then using ext3 as the filesystem for the
3rd "leftover" partition as (mounted as /opt on boot).  Here's a small
script I use that makes/populates /dev/sda3 after PWL rebuilds the flash
card:

   #!/bin/sh

   echo "Creating filesystem..."
   mke2fs -j -b 1024 -m0 /dev/sda3

   echo "Populating filesystem..."
   mount -t ext3 /dev/sda3 /mnt/usbdev
   cp -a /usr/local/pwl/Embedded_Build/opt_tree/* /mnt/usbdev/

   echo "Syncing and unmounting..."
   sync
   umount /mnt/usbdev

So, of course, this requires you keep the "master" /opt tree on your
build machine.  Couple this ext3 filesystem with a SanDisk industrial
grade CF disk, and you're set.  I've had nothing but good luck with ext3
recovers.

> 2. Is there any documentation on how to use the custom features of PeeWeeLinux? I

Besides my /opt dealio above, I just make custom .tar files that mimic
the PWL shipped ones, and throw them right into the mix.  They then show
up nicely in ./pwlconfig and you can just select them.  See the 2.4.18
howto, once again, for how I did this. Your mileage may vary. ;)

> 3. In the same regard, certain config files need to be updated during operation of

Make them symlinks to the files loaded on /opt (or just copy them over
from /opt on boot) and you're set.  Of course, make sure /opt is mounted
before doing anything fun. ;)

-te

--
Troy Engel, Systems Engineer
"That's what the Internet is for, slandering others anonymously."