[Peeweelinux] New

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:59:47 -0700 (PDT)

After surveying many "embedded" linux packages, I have decided
to give PeeWee a try.  I am happy to see that there is some
activity.  From the looks of things, I didn't expect much.

So far the docs look so old that even I may be able to help.  I
think a few lines on "getting started" would help.  We certainly
have an opportunity to get a "first-timer's" perspective.

I downloaded the ISO image for the cd and burned that, thinking I
would find both the source and binary packages there.  The unpacking
instructions tell us, "tar -xzf embedded-0.18-src.tar.gz to extract
the source release, or tar -xzf embedded-0.18-src.tar.gz to extract
the binary release."   There isn't anything called embedded on the
this disk.  There aren't any tar.gz files on the disk (except the
three in /bin/src).  The files are referred to as 0.18, the doc
is 0.19, but the current release is 0.61   This makes me suspect
that both the names and the packaging method may have changed.

I'm off to the mirror site to look for a separate tarball for
the binary system, and I hope to have this all figured out shortly.
If I'm not successful, I'll be back with questions.   I hope I'm
not the first new guy since 0.19 :)

This ought to be fun...

Barry