[Peeweelinux] Gui window distortion in X windows system.

Justin Fretwell [email protected]
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:36:18 +0100

Hi,

I am running peewee on a small thin-client machine.  All parts on the board
inside, apart from the flash card are static.  This includes:

300Mhz cpu, 16meg ram.

X comprises of XDM as the display manager and TWM as the windows manager,
both of which come with peewee.

The flash card is a 16meg flash card so as you can see the setup is small.

The problem I am having is I am using a perl/Tk gui program that loads up in
X at start up (nothing else just he gui) and if i move that gui around the
inside of the window doesnt refresh and gets all distorted and even opaque.
You might say just dont enable the window to be moved: it doesnt make any
odds, i run rdesktop and when it connects to the terminal server if you move
the windows around in there they also get distorted.

Something that might be worth mentioning is the background icons do not get
distorted when moving a window over them, are they getting refreshed?

If i start up X without starting up the gui and run a Xterm window instead
and run the gui from that, the distortion doesnt happen.

I am getting to my wits end with this i could REALLY use some help and/or
ideas here.  I think its a memory issue, as all the memory is taken up when
expanding the ramdisk.

Ideas would be VERY much appreaciated
Regards
Justin