[Peeweelinux] RE lilo compact flash prob

root [email protected]
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:54:24 -0500 (EST)

Adi Linden wrote:

> What does your lilo.conf file look like?
>
> Adi
>
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Daniel Hennessey wrote:
>
> > I have a Sandisk SDDR-31 connected to my USB port and am trying to write the
> > filesystem to this target. Everything appears to go OK, the files are
> > transferred and it says that it has run lilo on /dev/sda, but when I try and
> > boot off it (as /dev/hda using a cf-ide converter), the furthest I have got
> > is to the dreaded 'LI.......'. Is there anything that I should check before
> > condemning the cheapo flash card I bought as dud. If you require any further
> > info I would be glad to oblige.

I think Dan's basic problem is running lilo on a device
(/dev/sda) which is not known to the bios at boot time.
During boot, the bios probably regards the Sandisk as
an IDE device and thinks of it as the C drive.

Try telling lilo that it should play along with the
bios' assumptions. In lilo.conf, you probably have:

boot=/dev/sda

Right after that add:

disk=/dev/sda
<TAB>bios=0x80

This will tell lilo to have the first stage boot loader
use bios disk 0x80 instead of whatever drive number
it previously thought /dev/sda to be.

Good luck.

  --Dennis