[Peeweelinux] Re: Peewee on Rocky 328E

Mark Meade [email protected]
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:20:28 -0500

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 Guillaume PREVOST wrote:

> But my aim is to install Peewee on the HD of my embedded PC. I have created the
> target filesystem on the HD of my Desk PC with Red Hat (or I think so). And I
> only use a floppy as a link between my desk PC HD and my embedded PC HD. Is
> there any other way to do ? I could also try to temporarily install my embedded
> PC HD on my desk PC as primary slave disk ...

Peewee configures everything based on your target, so in this case you end up with a
bootable floppy.  Simply copying everything from the floppy to your hard drive will not
result in a bootable hard drive.

> By using a floppy to transfer data, when I choose a target in pwlconfig, this
> target is not directly accessible from pwlconfig. Is it possible ? I think that
> it is, because I imagine that you may have to use this way to install peewee on
> a diskonchip. But this does not appear clearly to me in documentations.

As an example, I use Peewee to configure a bootable 8MB DiskOnChip.  The DOC is installed
in my development PC while running Peewee; the part is then removed and placed in the
embedded target when Peewee is done.

In your case, installing the hard drive as a primary slave is probably the way to go.
Your target device would then be "/dev/hdb", assuming you have IDE drives.  Since you are
no longer limited by the size of a floppy, this will also give you much more space to add
additional packages as needed.

Regards,

Mark