[Peeweelinux] Re: Peewee on Rocky 328E

[email protected] [email protected]
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:39:43 +0100

--0__=9htovtQXt7mKc2xBKU1WQ2jhm0i0IxbGcqn7bo6plV6vEnBeCPnla4Fe

Hi,

Mark, I would like to thank you very much.

I did not realy anderstood why it works with /dev/fd0 instead of /mnt/f=
loppy but
it works ...

Thus, pwlconfig creates a floppy :

bzimage   597 988 bytes
ldlinux.sys    5860 bytes
ramdisk   835247    bytes
syslinux  .cfg 82   bytes

(Hu, only 17 kbytes free on my floppy ...)

But the loading process failed :-(

During the process, I can quickly read everthing is ok except this mess=
age (or
something close to this) :

***********
Editing inittab sed : can't read .mnt/etc/inittab : Aucun fichier ou r=E9=
pertoire
de ce type
./pwlconfig : .mnt/etc/inittab : Aucun fichier ou r=E9pertoire de ce ty=
pe
***********

If you don't read french, "Aucun fichier ou r=E9pertoire de ce type" me=
ans "no
such file or directory"

At the end of le loading process, pwlconfig tell me :

"The target build script failed to load the filesystem onto the configu=
red
target"

And when I ask for the result, all seems to be ok except :

"Editing inittab : failed"

and later

"ldconfig : warning : can't open /usr/lib (no such file or directory)"

I look for /usr/lib. This directory exists with many subdirectories.
I look for inittab with "find / inittab", and it does not find it. I do=
 not have
any "etc" subdirectory in my "mnt" directory.

I try to boot my embedded PC with this floppy nevertheless.

It starts well after the Bios :

"Syslinux 1.48 1999-09-26 copyright ..." etc

And then, rapidly a lot of things that looks right until something that=
 seems to
be an endless loop :

A linux logo at the left top and a screen cover by the same message tha=
t flows
up :

"VM : do-try-to-free-pages failed for swapper"

And sometimes, a different message runs up among those : (It is not eas=
y to
read, it could be something a little bit close to this)

"VM : do-try-to-free-pages failed for kswaped"

This process stops after a "ctrl-alt-suppr". And I can reboot my embedd=
ed PC
without the floppy, DOS restarts well (DOS was installed on the HD befo=
re, but I
would like to crush it with peewee).

Does the process try to install peewee on my HD ? (my floppy driver is =
noisier
than my HD driver)

Does anybody have any idea ?

The lack of inittab may be the cause ? What is inittab and how to make =
it appear
? Why my /mnt/etc/ directory does not existe ?

Many thanks.

Guillaume PREVOST

"Mark Meade" <[email protected]> on 20/02/2002 14:35:12

Veuillez r=E9pondre =E0 [email protected]

Pour :    [email protected]
cc :   (ccc : Guillaume Prevost/ALCATEL-SPACE)
Objet :   [Peeweelinux] Re: [Peeweelinux] R=E9f. : Re: [Peeweelinux] Pe=
ewee on
      Rocky 328E

=

--0__=9htovtQXt7mKc2xBKU1WQ2jhm0i0IxbGcqn7bo6plV6vEnBeCPnla4Fe

Hi Guillaume,

> Testing for target device /mnt/floppy ........ failed
> Testing that target /mnt/floppy is not mounted ....... Ok
>
> Nevertheless my floppy seems to be ok. Before "umount" it, I was able to copy
> file (cp "file" /mnt/floppy/ , and "file" appears in my red hat browser.)

Try changing the target to "/dev/fd0" instead of "/mnt/floppy".

> Is there anybody who could explain me the difference between those 3 parameter
> of the config menu :
>
> Project Mount Point : "mnt"
>
> Device Mount point : "./mnt"
>
> Floppy Device : "/mnt/floppy"

I made an attempt to explain these parameters in a previous message to this
group:

http://mail.adis.on.ca/pipermail/peeweelinux/2002-January/000464.html

Hopefully this will help explain those parameters.

If anybody notices any errors in these descriptions, let me know.
Eventually, I'd like to help put together a FAQ for Peewee, and these
questions come up fairly frequently.

> And what is the mean of this parameter :
>
> Initrd File Name : "initrd"

"Initrd" is the "initial ram disk image".  Initrd may be used as a
"preliminary root file system image"; this image is mounted by the kernel
prior to mounting the "real" root file system.  This is done is cases where
you need a special device driver to access the root file system, but it is
not compiled as part of the kernel.

A really good reference on this subject (and many others) is the "Linux Rute
User's Tutorial and Exposition", by Paul Sheer.  This book is available
online at: http://rute.sourceforge.net/.

Regards,

Mark