[Peeweelinux] Re: [Peeweelinux] R�f. : Re: [Peeweelinux] P eewee on Rocky 328E

Mark Meade [email protected]
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:35:12 -0500

Hi Guillaume,

> Testing for target device /mnt/floppy ........ failed
> Testing that target /mnt/floppy is not mounted ....... Ok
>
> Nevertheless my floppy seems to be ok. Before "umount" it, I was able to copy a
> file (cp "file" /mnt/floppy/ , and "file" appears in my red hat browser.)

Try changing the target to "/dev/fd0" instead of "/mnt/floppy".

> Is there anybody who could explain me the difference between those 3 parameter
> of the config menu :
>
> Project Mount Point : "mnt"
>
> Device Mount point : "./mnt"
>
> Floppy Device : "/mnt/floppy"

I made an attempt to explain these parameters in a previous message to this
group:

http://mail.adis.on.ca/pipermail/peeweelinux/2002-January/000464.html

Hopefully this will help explain those parameters.

If anybody notices any errors in these descriptions, let me know.
Eventually, I'd like to help put together a FAQ for Peewee, and these
questions come up fairly frequently.

> And what is the mean of this parameter :
>
> Initrd File Name : "initrd"

"Initrd" is the "initial ram disk image".  Initrd may be used as a
"preliminary root file system image"; this image is mounted by the kernel
prior to mounting the "real" root file system.  This is done is cases where
you need a special device driver to access the root file system, but it is
not compiled as part of the kernel.

A really good reference on this subject (and many others) is the "Linux Rute
User's Tutorial and Exposition", by Paul Sheer.  This book is available
online at: http://rute.sourceforge.net/.

Regards,

Mark