[Peeweelinux] packages?

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:06:13 -0700 (PDT)

What do I have to do to a given program to include it into
a PeeWeeLinux system?  There are hints that when PeeWee was
built, that the packages were modified in some way.  Hints
like, and my own guesses on...

 - built against the right kernel
 - stripped (remove debug symbols)
 - minimize footprint
 - rpm vs. tar file
 - (deadliest of all:) unknown

In one sense, I can take a working binary and just dump it
into the custom directory and have the system built with
it.  There are reasons this might be unworkable or cumbersome.
Or I could compile it myself and do the same, with somewhat
better chances.  But what else do I need to know?

I need to do control apps via a web interface, so I'm currently
looking at web servers.  I need it to be a little fancy, so
I want something like php so I don't reinvent the last 8
years of cgi scripting progress.  So my choices are thttpd
or Apache.   There's a php module for thttpd but it requires
a specific version of thttpd so I'd be building that again.
Apache looks like it might be too fancy for its own good, but
it's well-known and documented and all that.

The answers to the package questions are going to apply to
anything I want to add to PeeWee, so it's a general question
and not knowing could really get in the way.

Barry