[Peeweelinux] thttpd web server Q+A, net-pf-10

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

So, after researching all that, I can respond semi-intelligently...

At 02:58 PM 8/14/02 -0500, Stefan Willmert wrote:
>I'm not exactly sure what loads modules.conf.

It is read when doing depmod -a

>Modprobe seems to use some standard naming when
>trying to figure out which modules to load. Especially
>for sound modules.

This would actually be in the startup script.  modprobe just
does the translation, having loaded up some aliases.

>What I did, was to put the insmod commands directly in rc.modules

I can write a script to "bring everything up by hand" but I am
wary that I will install some package that conflicts with that
method.  Also I get the feeling the bring-up may already be in
there and I just don't understand how to tweak it just right.

Hmm, I don't seem to have an rc.modules directory...  Maybe I
will just create a few small scripts in rcS.d  That way they
will remain "visible" and not "fall into a crack".

>You can ignore modules.conf unless you are going to have one
>of your startup scripts use modprobe to determine what
>modules to load.

Now that  you mention it, I already know what I want to load
(and if I didn't I would find out as soon as I looked at lsmod).
So I don't really need modprobe at all.   Hey maybe if I
removed it I would find out who is trying to call it!

Barry