[Peeweelinux] Compact Flash newbie

Kevin Brouelette [email protected]
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:43:42 -0700

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:24:04 -0500 (CDT)
"Adi Linden" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you have "/sbin/init" in your filesystem? Have you tried using the
> "minimal" project, it should be already to go and get you to a login and
> shell prompt.
>
> Adi

Hi,
Thanks fof the reply.

I do have /sbin/init when I extract the project to the development system's
drive.
I did notice that when I extract it and look in /etc/lilo.conf it shows that
it wants to boot /dev/sda
which it the device I'm creating PWL on but then when I move the CF card to
the other PC
it is supposed to boot as /dev/hda.  Am I on the right track?
Making changes in the 'Target Hardware' section causes PWL not to build if I
change 'Target Device' to /dev/hda.  I'll post the lilo.conf from the
..mnt/etc/lilo.conf and below that the results of the successfull build.

Thank you

Kevin B.

disk=/dev/sda    <<<----  sda
  bios=0x80
  heads=4
  sectors=32
  cylinders=490

boot=/dev/sda    <<<---sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
compact
prompt
timeout=20
default=linux

image=/boot/bzImage
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1   <<<---HDA!
        vga=0x317

 Mon Apr 29 21:12:36 PDT
2002
?
device....
?
  ? Testing for
mkdosfs...ok
?
  ? Testing for
syslinux...ok
?
  ? Testing for
mke2fs...ok
?
  ? Testing for
sfdisk...ok
?
  ? Testing for
losetup...ok
?
  ? Testing for tmp
directory...ok
?
  ? Testing for mount
directory...ok
?
  ? Testing for target device
/dev/sda...ok
?
  ? Testing that target /dev/sda is not
mounted...ok                                                              ?
  ? Testing that nothing is mounted on mount
directory...ok                                                       ?
  ? Testing for an existing project
root...ok
?
  ? Creating a loopback device...6148+0 records
in                                                                ?
  ? 6148+0 records
out
?
  ?
ok
?
  ? Creating a filesystem on /dev/loop0...mke2fs 1.26
(3-Feb-2002)                                                ?
  ? Filesystem
label=
?
  ? OS type:
Linux
?
  ? Block size=1024
(log=0)
?
  ? Fragment size=1024
(log=0)
?
  ? 1544 inodes, 6148
blocks
?
  ? 0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super
user                                                                  ?
  ? First data
block=1
?
  ? 1 block
group
?
  ? 8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
 1544 inodes per
group
?

?
?
  ? Writing inode tables:
done
?
  ? Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information:
done                                               ?

?
?
  ? This filesystem will be automatically checked every 25 mounts
or                                              ?
  ? 180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to
override.                                           ?
  ?
ok
?
  ? Mounting loopback
device...ok
?
  ? Copying files to loopback
device...ok
?
  ? Creating fstab and
rc.init...ok
?
  ? Editing
inittab...ok
?
  ? Building
ld.so.cache.../usr/X11R6/lib:
?
  ?
/lib:
?
  ?
/usr/lib:
?
  ?        libncftp.so.2 ->
libncftp.so.2
?
  ?
/usr/X11R6/lib:
?
  ?
ok
?
  ? Unmounting loopback
device...ok
?
  ? Compressing /dev/loop0 into ramdisk...6148+0 records
in                                                       ?
  ? 6148+0 records
out
?
  ?
74.7%
?
  ?
ok
?
  ? Free loopback device
/dev/loop0...ok
?
  ? Determining space on target
device...ok
?
  ? Partition traget device /dev/sda...Checking that no-one is using this
disk right now ...

OK
?

?
?
  ? Disk /dev/sda: 245 cylinders, 2 heads, 32
sectors/track                                                       ?
  ? Old
situation:
?
  ? Units = cylinders of 32768 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from
0                                       ?

?
?
  ?    Device Boot Start     End   #cyls   #blocks   Id
System                                                   ?
  ? /dev/sda1   *      0+    244     245-     7839+  83
Linux                                                    ?
  ? /dev/sda2          0       -       0         0    0
Empty                                                    ?
  ? /dev/sda3          0       -       0         0    0
Empty                                                    ?
  ? /dev/sda4          0       -       0         0    0
Empty                                                    ?
  ? New
situation:
?
  ? Units = cylinders of 32768 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from
0                                       ?

?
?
  ?    Device Boot Start     End   #cyls   #blocks   Id
System                                                   ?
  ? /dev/sda1   *      0+    244     245-     7839+  83
Linux                                                    ?
  ? /dev/sda2          0       -       0         0    0
Empty                                                    ?
  ? /dev/sda3          0       -       0         0    0
Empty                                                    ?
  ? /dev/sda4          0       -       0         0    0
Empty                                                    ?
  ? Successfully wrote the new partition
table                                                                    ?

?
?
  ? Re-reading the partition table
?

?
?
  ? If you created or changed a DOS partition, /dev/foo7, say, then use
dd(1)                                     ?
  ? to zero the first 512 bytes:  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo7 bs=512
count=1                                     ?
  ? (See fdisk(8).)
ok
?
  ? Creating ext2 filesystem...mke2fs 1.26
(3-Feb-2002)                                                           ?
  ? Filesystem
label=
?
  ? OS type:
Linux
?
  ? Block size=4096
(log=2)
?
  ? Fragment size=4096
(log=2)
?
  ? 992 inodes, 1959
blocks
?
  ? 0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super
user                                                                  ?
  ? First data
block=0
?
  ? 1 block
group
?
  ? 32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per
group                                                             ?
  ? 992 inodes per
group
?

?
?
  ? Writing inode tables:
done
?
  ? Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information:
done                                               ?

?
?
  ? This filesystem will be automatically checked every 37 mounts
or                                              ?
  ? 180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to
override.                                           ?
  ?
ok
?
  ? Mount the target device
/dev/sda1...ok
?
  ? Copying ramdisk, kernel and
boot.b...ok
?
  ? Creating lilo.conf in a temporary
location...ok
?
  ? Installing lilo bootloader...LILO version 21, Copyright 1992-1998 Werner
Almesberger

Reading boot sector from
/dev/sda
?
  ? Merging with
../mnt/boot.b
?
  ? Boot image:
../mnt/bzImage
?
  ? Mapping RAM disk
../mnt/ramdisk
?
  ? Added linux
*
?
  ? /dev/null exists - no backup copy
made.
?
  ? Writing boot
sector.
?
  ?
ok
?
  ? Unmounting target device /dev/sda1...ok