PeeWeeLinux question...

[email protected] [email protected]
Fri, 11 May 2001 11:29:02 -0400

As an aside, the reason that gcc 2.96 is not able to compile some stuff is
because technically there is no gcc 2.96. See the GNU site here:

 http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-2.96.html

Basically, 2.96 is development code working towards 3.0. (2.97 falls into
this category too) The most recent formal release of gcc is 2.95.2.

Dion Vansevenant
Internetwork Administrator
MRO Software Canada Ltd.
E: [email protected]
P: 519-642-6046
F: 519-433-1247

                    Adi Linden
                    <[email protected]>          To:     [email protected]
                    Sent by:                  cc:     [email protected]
                    owner-peeweelinux@        Subject:     RE: PeeWeeLinux question...
                    adis.on.ca

                    2001/05/11 10:53
                    Please respond to
                    peeweelinux

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the solution you found regarding RedHat 7.0. I
forwarded your email to the PWL list as well for reference.

I am currently spending what little spare time I have left at building a
secure webserver to replace my aging server in place now. Once that has
been accomplished I will be looking at more PeeWeeLinux development.
Unfortunately I am left with very little time these days...

TTYL,
Adi

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> Thanks, but I found a solution by brute force...  I was looking through
> the RedHat 7 image, and found /usr/bin/kgcc, which is of a different
> size than the normal /usr/bin/gcc.  I replaced gcc with kgcc in the
> Makefile, and the build was successful.  Digging around later on the
> RedHat website I found a "gotcha" entry describing the problem as:
>
> "For various reasons, gcc is no longer able to compile the kernel from
> source because it uses the 2.96 version of the GNU C Compiler. However,
> it is still easy to compile your kernel, as version 2.91.66 of the egcs
> C compiler has been included with the distribution".
>
> that explains kgcc's purpose, although they don't bother to give
> specifics on what changed in gcc 2.96 that broke the kernel build.
>
> Thanks for getting back to me anyway, I am really enjoying working
> with the PWL distribution so far.  If I could figure out what I am
> doing wrong trying to get pump to work properly in my image (works
> fine for dhcp on the RedHat host) I'd be basically done.  I'm sure
> it's something minor.
>
> It would be nice if the package included the newer XFree86 4.0.3 build
> for support of the newer video devices.  Also, I noticed that the ICA
> client including is an older one, Citrix has a 6.0.908 release, and PWL
> has 3.00.77 in it.
>

> Randy Howard

That
> would allow me to recreate your build and see if it bombs on my system as
> well...
>
> TTYL,
> Adi
>
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 [email protected] wrote:
>

> > I am working on building up a very small image using the ISO CD image
> which
> > I downloaded yesterday.  It looks pretty good so far, but I do have a
few
> > questions.  I suspect I'm missing something obvious and hopefully you
have
> > seen this before...
> >
> > First of all, I have been able to get an image installed onto a drive
and
> > boot the kernel, so the basics seem to be working fine.  I am having
> trouble
> > building a custom kernel, which when done from within pwlconfig reports
it
> > was successful, but I do not get a bzImage file in the custom kernel
> package
> > when it completes.  The package (in this case kernel-Target_64-2.2.17)
> > contains /boot, but no kernel.  I saw from the PeeWee website that
> building
> > the kernel from inside the tool is fairly new, so I decided to try it
by
> > hand instead.
> >
> > Building it manually from kernelbuild/usr/src/linux (2.2.17-13) under
the
> > Embedded_Build tree fails on arch/i386/usr/lib/checksum.S.  That is
quite
> > strange, since a diff of it and the same file on the host /usr/src/....
> > shows they are identical.  It fails on the #define definitions for SRC
()
> and
> > DST().  The specific error messages are:
> > checksum.S:231: badly punctuated parameter list in #define
> > checksum.S:237: badly punctuated parameter list in #define
> >
> > Of course, that blows up the kernel build.    I suspect something is
wrong
> > in the build environment, but haven't been able to track it down yet.
The