PeeWee: Installing Lilo.....failed

Marc Wiz [email protected]
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:57:49 -0600 (CST)

> Hi,
>
> Disk-On-Chip requires a special patched version of LILO. When using
> M-Systems Disk-On-Chip I recommend using a FAT based boot partition with
> syslinux as bootloader. It doesn't have any of the problems lilo has.

I guess I should chime in here. :-)

About two weeks ago I had a somewhat similiar problem.

There are directions for creating an EXT2FS on the DOC that are
available from M-Systems.  It really is quite easy.   I think it
is a PDF file which I can dig up.

I am using the M-Systems patched lilo for my setup.  I boot off
the DOC and am able to then pick a configuration that has the root
on the DOC or the IDE disk I have.

I am able to do a lilo operation on the DOC even when I am booted
off the disk.   It is just a matter of specifying the proper root
for lilo.

The hardware is a GCT-Allwell system.

I did not use all of the PeeWeeLinux facilities to do this.  I do
have a working system on a 8 MB DOC.  Now all I have to do is
get the system set up as a router.

Is there a way to get greater compression on any parts of the
distribution?  It would be nice to get a smaller kernel or libraries.

I built and installed my own kernel and took out everything I could
think of.  I could use some more room.

The only other thing I can think of is to put some of the libraries
into a RAM disk that is loaded at boot time.

Marc
--
Marc Wiz
[email protected]