FlashDisk vs RamDisk+FlashDisk partitions

Adi Linden [email protected]
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 18:31:10 -0600 (CST)

Hi Andrei,

> Thank you for the info. I like the mixed aproach because it tends to
> save RAM. In my case, my flash build is quite large 64Mb (not because
> of peewee), therefore I need to allocate another 64RAM for ramdisk
> plus some for the OS...

With a filesystem of that size using the read-only root approach is
defenitely the way to go.

> The trick is mount/unmounting the /etc flash partition in order
> to save changes, if any. I suspect that changes on /etc
> are not as dynamic (system settings), hence mounting/unmounting
> can be done on demand.

I prefer to mount everything, except mount flash partitions as read-only
and change them to read-write for the short period when writing is really
necessary.

> > Future kernel releases will include devfs and reiserfs or ext3. devfs
> > allows for a virtual device filesystem, similar to how /proc works.
>
> Excellent! Will this be on 2.4 or 2.2.x? Just curious... (very)

The current kernel is 2.2.17 with usb support among other things. I hope
to go to 2.2.18 with devfs and reiserfs soon (no promises on dates) and
perhaps add 2.4.x as experimental kernel sometime after that.

TTYL,
Adi