booting into a ram disk

Dr Jaime V. Miro [email protected]
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:37:31 +0100

"Dr Jaime V. Miro" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a minimalistic embedded linux system developed from peeweelinux (0.51). It was done with pwlconfig. I had to add a couple of libs manually, otherwise it would not boot up (libncurses.so.4 and libtermcap.so.2), but it does now. It resides in the HD, boots up, and let's me login with "root" or "admin".(not much more, as yet)
>
> Feeling brave, I attempted the next step with the ultimate goal of booting from a CF disk: booting from a ram disk. I first tried the tool that comes with pwlconfig (rd_dialog), but it keeps asking me for a project, and while it recognises the name of the last one (the ever present "simple"), no matter what I do or write, can't go past this point. I am probably doing something wrong, but don't know what it is,

found out: select the "number" of the project. I feel a bit stupid now, 'cause it just did not cross my mind. But here is my admission, in case somebody is stuck on the same thing ( probably not ... ;-) )

so I've tried to do it manually (I've done it successfully b4 with another / and
> kernel). I mounted the ram disk, copied the fs into it, unmount it, created the image, compress it, edit lilo to refer to this new image, and reboot. After a couple of glitches (it never likes /devram1, whilst /dev/ram0 is okay ...?), the system boots, mounts the fs into ram, and gives me the peewee prompt ... but I can't login using "root" or "admin" like before! I don't know why. It is exactly the same image and kernel as the one residing in the HD, so passwd and permissions are the same. But
> it does not go past the login screen. Any pointers?

still stuck on that one though! I'll try rd_dialog and see what happens.

thanks in advance

Jaime