CDROM Installation?

Ray Olszewski [email protected]
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 21:30:27 -0700

At 10:59 PM 9/5/00 -0400, Paul Monaghan wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Adi Linden wrote:
>
>> So for the short answer, PeeWeeLinux 0.51 doesn't have CD-ROM support out
>> of the box.
>
>Oh well, that's a shame.  Wouldn't happen to know of a small footprint
>linux that can run competely from CDROM would you?

No such thing; Linux needs to have access to a writable partition for logs,
wtmp and utmp, as well as anything that needs local configuration
(/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow come to mind). So you need a small disk
partition or a RAM disk to work, combined with some clever symlinking.

The closest I can think of to what you want are:

        Slackware's "live" CD -- part of the Slackware you pay for,
                not the free download version. Buy it wherever
                official Slackware is sold.

        Linux Router Project EigerStein -- not quite ready for release,
                but probably soon.  Check on lrp.steinkuehler.net for
                details (not sure exactly where; you'll have to look
                around).

There was a project kicking around at Debian to do something similar to
Slackware-Live, but I don't know the details or if it ever was completed.