Making a floppy system with PeeWeeLinux

fred anger [email protected]
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:09:11 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Adi Linden wrote:
> Here are some instructions on how to create a floppy run system using
> PeeWeeLinux.

Thank you very much!  I do have a problem though:

> 4.  Exit pwlconfig at this point.

Had to go into the filesystem's dev directory and delete a whole mess of
unecessary device file that were eating up inodes to get it to fit on the
3M ram disk, BTW...

> 14. Place the kernel on the floppy
>         dd if=Embedded_Build/projects/<your project>/mnt/boot/bzImage \
>             of=/dev/fd0
>
> 15. When dd finishes you will get a message similar to
>         410+1 records in
>         410+1 records out

Here's mine - something's wrong cuz mine looks WAY too big...

[root@blowtorch /]# ls -l \
/home/kml/peeweelinux/Embedded_Build/projects/booty/mnt/boot/bzImage
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       567580 Sep  2 07:22
/home/kml/peeweelinux/Embedded_Build/projects/booty/mnt/boot/bzImage
[root@blowtorch /]# dd \
if=/home/kml/peeweelinux/Embedded_Build/projects/booty/mnt/boot/bzImage \
of=/dev/fd0
1108+1 records in
1108+1 records out

What am I doing wrong?  And how did you get your kernel smaller?  I'm
using the latest binary distro (.51).  Should I be configuring my own
kernel and rebuilding from the src distro?

Needless to say, the kernel and the compressed ramdisk image (1107131
bytes) don't fit on the floppy...

Thank you for your time.

-fa