making floppy systems

Adi Linden [email protected]
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:35:55 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

Building a compressed ramdisk to fit on a floppy is no problem especially
if you use the tinylogin/busybox combination.

So far I've been doing the task of building the ramdisk and loading the
kernel and ramdisk onto the floppy by hand.

I am working on a bunch of scripts that will build systems on a attached
harddrive (primarly meant for CompactFlash or DOC accessed like an IDE
drive). Since the HD loading involves partitioning the target device this
isn't really feasable for a floppy disk.

Reading this note I will add floppy to another type of target to build
using those script which will eventually driven by pwlconfig as a user
interface.

I have some scanned pages of my notebook (pen and pencil notebook) from
the early beginnings of my embedded systems building experience. Have a
look at it and see if it makes sense.

http://adis.on.ca/BlackBook/bootdisk1.jpeg
http://adis.on.ca/BlackBook/bootdisk2.jpeg
http://adis.on.ca/BlackBook/bootdisk3.jpeg

I can take the relevant portions out of it and write some quick
instructions of how to load a filesystem build using pwlconfig and located
in Embedded_Build/projects/<your project name>/mnt onto a floppy disk.

Hope this helps!

TTYL,
Adi