Xterm

Ralph Stickley [email protected]
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:35:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dean,
I had the same problem and never got this fixed properly.
I ended up running the system as root user - seems a
permission problem or something.
BTW, if you go to a console, can you start xterm ?
<ctr><alt><F8>
<alt><F2>

This should give you a login prompt (if you have another
getty setup in your sysinit file ??)
login as root and type:

export DISPLAY=:0
xterm &
then press
<alt><f7> (if you have 6 gettys setup)
--or--
<alt><f4> (if you only have 3 gettys setup, etc...)

This should start the xterm program (or at least
show some error messages that may help explain why
its not working).  Also there is a program "strace" IIRC
that prints out the system calls - capture the output from:

strace xterm 2> xxx

and see if you notice what the program is doing.

Wish I could say for sure what the problem is...if you
find out, let us know!:)

Later,
Ralph Stickley

(already lost most of my hair!)