Silent booting

Dean Brown [email protected]
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:01:53 -0800

Adi Linden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a box here with the National Semi chipset which uses the pci-scan
> module as well. Here are the pci-scan modules in the kernel rpms:
>
> [root@big Embedded_Build]# rpm -qpl RPMS/kernel-full-2.2.17-6.i386.rpm |
> grep pci-scan
> /lib/modules/2.2.17-full/net/pci-scan.o
>
> [root@big Embedded_Build]# rpm -qpl RPMS/kernel-basic-2.2.17-6.i386.rpm |
> grep pci-scan
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/pci-scan.o
>
> I tried the natsemi.o module and I did have to do:
>
>    insmod pci-scan
>    insmod natsemi
>
> This worked just fine. Trying to load natsemi without the pci-scan driver
> resulted in the same errors you reported.

This is now working. Thanks!

> I am just working on a fresh compile of the kernel rpms. I intend to add
> the devfs patch and daemon for 2.2.17. This should allow for an easier way
> to build a read-only rootfs plus save considerable space.

I notice that the framebuffer support is no longer enabled in the
2.2.17-basic kernel, but is in the 2.2.17-full. Is this intentional?

> I am considering removing the netdriver patch which adds the new network
> drivers requiring pci-scan and creating it as a seperate package (similar
> to emlog and the rl2 driver). That way the default kernel(s) included with
> PeeWeeLinux wouldn't require pci-scan to be loaded.
>
> As far as the lilo prompt, no, there is currently no way to add additional
> lilo paramters using pwlconfig. Looking at pwlconfig, I think it should be
> possible to add a couple of parameters like:
>
> Ramdisk File Name: "ramdisk"
> Initrd File Name: "initrd"

This would work, but it would be nice to be able to include an external
file in the lilo.conf file. This might be difficult to do cleanly
however. On that note, where is the lilo.conf file stored at that is
actually used to install lilo onto the CF device? I'm using the read
only root filesystem as a target.