Silent booting

Adi Linden [email protected]
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:44:06 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I have a box here with the National Semi chipset which uses the pci-scan
module as well. Here are the pci-scan modules in the kernel rpms:

[root@big Embedded_Build]# rpm -qpl RPMS/kernel-full-2.2.17-6.i386.rpm |
grep pci-scan
/lib/modules/2.2.17-full/net/pci-scan.o

[root@big Embedded_Build]# rpm -qpl RPMS/kernel-basic-2.2.17-6.i386.rpm |
grep pci-scan
/lib/modules/2.2.17/net/pci-scan.o

I tried the natsemi.o module and I did have to do:

   insmod pci-scan
   insmod natsemi

This worked just fine. Trying to load natsemi without the pci-scan driver
resulted in the same errors you reported.

I am just working on a fresh compile of the kernel rpms. I intend to add
the devfs patch and daemon for 2.2.17. This should allow for an easier way
to build a read-only rootfs plus save considerable space.

I am considering removing the netdriver patch which adds the new network
drivers requiring pci-scan and creating it as a seperate package (similar
to emlog and the rl2 driver). That way the default kernel(s) included with
PeeWeeLinux wouldn't require pci-scan to be loaded.

As far as the lilo prompt, no, there is currently no way to add additional
lilo paramters using pwlconfig. Looking at pwlconfig, I think it should be
possible to add a couple of parameters like:

Ramdisk File Name: "ramdisk"
Initrd File Name: "initrd"