signal catching during boot-up scripts

Pete Buechler [email protected]
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 07:27:10 -0700

On Monday 06 November 2000 08:12, Dr Jaime V. Miro wrote:

> Now, in order to seemlessly (from the user point of view) boot up
> straight into the application, I launch the application from the
> rc.local script (PeeWeeLinux based on red hat, i.e. system V init
> scripts, I think). The application starts fine, but I can never catch
> Ctrl+C (SIGINT). It hangs up. I can, however,  ctrl+alt+del and the
> system is shutdown. From what I see, it looks as though signals are
> not passed (from /sbin/init) on to user programs during boot up, at
> least not until getting the mingetty, which I don't need (embedded,
> no user inputs or terminals, no log in ... nothing. The reason to
> catching the signals at this stage is purely for debugging)

If you are sending this signal by typing Ctrl-C then the problem coud
be that the keyboard is not the controlling tty for the process to
which you want to send the signal. I have forgotten the details, but
basically each process belongs to a group, and then the groups can be
in sessions, and each session has a controlling tty. Read the libc info
pages for excruciating detail.
--
Pete Buechler
Developer, SuSE Labs