signal catching during boot-up scripts

Dr Jaime V. Miro [email protected]
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 15:12:44 +0000

Hi

I am not sure whether this question should be addressed to the PeeWeeLinux community, or to embedded linux in general, so I guess I'll send it to both.

Thanks

******************

I've written a (GNU C++) program whose main(), after creating some threads, sigwaits for Ctrl+C
to terminate "nicely". It works fine and does what it is supposed to do. Now, that application is
gonna control an embedded device, for which I've put together an embedded flavour of Linux (based
on PeeWeeLinux v0.52).  It works fine in that environment too. No probs so far.

Now, in order to seemlessly (from the user point of view) boot up straight into the application,
I launch the application from the rc.local script (PeeWeeLinux based on red hat, i.e. system V
init scripts, I think). The application starts fine, but I can never catch Ctrl+C (SIGINT). It
hangs up. I can, however,  ctrl+alt+del and the system is shutdown. From what I see, it looks as
though signals are not passed (from /sbin/init) on to user programs during boot up, at least not until getting the
mingetty, which I don't need (embedded, no user inputs or terminals, no log in ... nothing. The
reason to catching the signals at this stage is purely for debugging)

Am I right? or maybe I am barking at the wrong tree and that is not the best approach to go
anyway? any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jaime