Uncompressed root fs to ramdisk.

Kyle Harris [email protected]
Tue, 23 May 2000 21:22:27 -0400

Ralph,

Please see below.

Ralph Stickley wrote:

> Not sure about the minigetty thing.  I think the /dev/tty things (are they
> files , pipes ? does anybody know ?? ) have to be in R/W partition. I just
> linked to my ram disk:

/dev/xxx are special "files" called nodes. It provides a mechanism for
accessing devices through a major and minor number.

> mount /dev/ram /var
> /tmp -> /var
> /dev/tty0 -> /tmp/tty0

I like this idea of having /dev in the ramdisk. But how does this work
since you need /dev/ram in order to create and mount /var? And the
kernel wants a console early in the boot sequence.

> Where /tmp is a link to the /var mount point for the ram disk. That might help
> ?
>
> Do you create more than one ramdisk ? How do you specify the size of your ram
> disk ?

for a 2 MB disk, I use mke2fs -m0 /dev/ram0 2048

Kyle.