upx, tinylogin

Adi Linden [email protected]
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 09:41:42 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

> I've continued some of my tests.  The results:
> - upx compressed executables don't seem to work on a 386, on a
> Pentium, K6 and P-II they work correctly.  This may be a problem
> for real embedded systems as the 386sx is still quite popular there.

I am booting the systems from a ramdisk which is compressed. A 2.7meg
filesystem compresses to about 970k on the boot media. Since I usually
have plenty of RAM I just load everything in a ramdisk.

This works great for router type applications where there is no data that
changes over time that would have to be saved.

> - I've started to experiment with tinylogin, a multicall binary like
> busybox that replaces login, su, passwd, getty and some other
> utilities.  It's really nice, but I have some problems with su and with
> remote login as root.  I'll keep you posted.

I've build one system with it successful. But I haven't build a
PeeWeeLinux package yet. I am planning on building patchfiles for all
existing PeeWeeLinux packages. So there will be a script that compiles and
builds all the PeeWeeLinux packages from the `stock' sources and generic
patches.

> - I'm having a couple of problems with elvis : it seems to loose
> track of the operations on a line (successions of a, i, x for
> example), resulting in unwanted results.  Am I the only one having
> this problem?

I've noticed that elvis does not properly deal with the screen. I find
that if you memorize what you do it'll work ok. But certain operations
`loose' thew status line.

In a raouter project I used a static vi instead. It's big but more
reliable than elvis. I used to use ee. It uses a very different syntax but
worked great with termcap.

> In the mean time : most of my tests were done on a K6-200 and a
> 386dx25 (yesyes ;-)) with 8MB RAM.  Even the latter "feels" quite
> OK and should be a usable platform for simple tasks or for tasks
> were high performance is not an issue.

I've looked at 386's. But booting a ramdisk into 8MB ram doesn't leave
much for `real' memory!

TTYL,
Adi