upx, tinylogin

Frank Van Uffelen [email protected]
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 02:08:17 +0100

Hi,

I've continued some of my tests.  The results:
- upx compressed executables don't seem to work on a 386, on a
Pentium, K6 and P-II they work correctly.  This may be a problem
for real embedded systems as the 386sx is still quite popular there.
- I've started to experiment with tinylogin, a multicall binary like
busybox that replaces login, su, passwd, getty and some other
utilities.  It's really nice, but I have some problems with su and with
remote login as root.  I'll keep you posted.
- I'm having a couple of problems with elvis : it seems to loose
track of the operations on a line (successions of a, i, x for
example), resulting in unwanted results.  Am I the only one having
this problem?

In the mean time : most of my tests were done on a K6-200 and a
386dx25 (yesyes ;-)) with 8MB RAM.  Even the latter "feels" quite
OK and should be a usable platform for simple tasks or for tasks
were high performance is not an issue.

Frank Van Uffelen
[email protected]
Please note : my @tornado.be address ceased to exist end of '98!