termcap

Frank Van Uffelen [email protected]
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 21:30:01 +0100

> Hi,
>
> > I've just managed to get 0.19 running off a harddisk ;-)
>
> Good stuff!

No major problems, although I had to do some steps manually.
The hardest part is to get LILO do what you want it to do.  What do
you think,

> There is a small termcap included in the minimal.tar package. However,
> I found that the terminal descriptions in it are too minimal for a
> system administered via telnet from a variety of systems.

I'll have a look at it later this evening.

> > - have you considered using upx on the executables?  It shrinks e.g.
> > the busybox in the distribution file to 43566 bytes, and the elvis
> > to 43278
>
> What is upx???

upx.tsx.org
upx is an executable compressor that exists for DOS, Windows
and Linux.  It's awesome

> > All this space could be used to either make the system's footprint
> > even smaller than it is right now, or to accomodate ncurses ;-)
>
> I tried ncurses but found it much harder to shrink in size then
> termcap. One of the future plans for PeeWeeLinux is to include means
> to create all the packages from the sources by using patch files.
> Perhaps at that point it might be an idea to give a choice of
> compiling with termcap or ncurses? Still got to checkout this upx
> thing, though...

You're referring to the terminfo data that ncurses uses?  Same
remark as for termcap, you can safely shave off most of them.

> Great to hear from someone who's successful in running a PeeWeeLinux
> system :)

It's a very nice mini-distro, good work!

Frank Van Uffelen
[email protected]
Please note : my @tornado.be address ceased to exist end of '98!