termcap

Ralph Stickley [email protected]
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:06:57 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

--- Frank Van Uffelen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just managed to get 0.19 running off a harddisk ;-)

Glad to hear it worked for you (we have limited testing so far :-)

> A couple of observations I'd like to discuss:
> - the /etc/termcap is really huge, I think that most people only need
> some basic terminal support (eg vt100 and the Linux console - this
> is an embedded system).  That reduces the file to hardly some kB,
> and shrinks the image by some 400kB.

Wow...sounds great, the linux console is really all I need too...

> - have you considered using upx on the executables?  It shrinks
> e.g. the busybox in the distribution file to 43566 bytes, and the
> elvis to 43278

I'm not familiar with upx...I'll have to look it up since I couldn't
find it in my RH 6.1 std. install :-)

> All this space could be used to either make the system's footprint
> even smaller than it is right now, or to accomodate ncurses ;-)

Yes..Yes...Smaller is better...I've been concentrating on the pwlconfig
and haven't tried to figure out how to optimize the packages. (My X-Windows
3.3.5 is 12MB - ouch!)  I'm trying to automate most of the package
building stuff, but the real job is figuring out how what is not needed for
each program.

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking for projects that people want
to share and any ideas on how to make the system easier for everybody...
just let us know if you have any questions.

Later,
Ralph Stickley