Kernel configuration files

Adi Linden [email protected]
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:26:26 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

The 2.2.17-basic kernel in 0.53.18 and up has framebuffer support.

To answer your question: There is a kernel source binary rpm. It contains
the patched kernel sources. The 'configs' directory contains various
kernel configurations including the 2.2.17-basic and 2.2.17-full builds.

Be careful when installing the binary rpm as it might do nasty things to
you kernel sources and header on your development system.

You need to install the rpm in a temporary location similar to these
steps:

    mkdir tmp_root
    cd tmp_root
    rpm -i --root `pwd` --force --noscripts --nodeps --notriggers \
        --dbpath /.rpm_db  --ignorearch \
        --ignoreos /path/to/kernel-source-2.2.17-8.i386.rpm

Somewhere in this directory should be the kernel sources; usr/src/linux?
cd into the top dir of the kernel sources. Now copy the desired config
file like:

    cp configs/<kernel.config> arch/i386/defconfig

Run make oldconfig to build a valid .config file:

    make oldconfig

Now you can configure the kernel as desired:

    make menuconfig (or whatever configuration tool you like to use)

Be careful as I haven't tried this recently!

There is a Embedded_Build/scripts/pwl_kernel script which is the
beginnings of a script that will eventually allow a kernel to be build
from within the pwlconfig environment. I don't think I will be getting
much time into this part before Christmas, though.

TTYL,
Adi