[Peeweelinux-devel] Re: DOC Docs

Mark Meade [email protected]
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:14:25 -0500

Adi Linden wrote:

> I am thinking about a directory structure similar to what's below. This
> might seem awkward at first, but it will allow for chroot to /peeweelinux
> and building of packages within the chrooted environment. Now it won't
> mater any longer what underling Linux distribution is used for
> PeeWeeLinux.

Being able to rebuild Peewee from scratch would be great.  I assume that this would allow
the user to easily rebuild with any version of gcc, glibc, etc.  Would this scheme greatly
increase the size of the Peewee distribution -- and would the "binary" only version still
be available?

> When RPMS are build, a <packagename>-devel rpm would be build for the sole
> purpose of installing in the chrooted environment. This will make it easy
> to link against just the libs that are part of PeeWeeLinux.

What would be the process of adding new packages to the pwlconfig menus?  Is this
something that could be automated, or would any new packages added end up as "custom"
files?

Also, the ability for people to easily contribute Peewee packages would be nice.  I
envision the Peewee website having an area for user contributed packages, and other users
could simply download a given package (binary only, or complete source), and add it to
their already installed base.  Again, this is similar to LRP packages; for an example, see
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/Packages.htm.

Regards,

Mark