[Peeweelinux-devel] Re: Moving Peewee to the 2.4 series - suggestions ?

[email protected] [email protected]
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:32:54 +1000

Hi Mark, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

To my knowledge, know that later versions do not offer any significant
advantages over the newer libraries (except the obvious size savings).

Currently our developer's are using Mandrake linux 8.1 - some initial
reasons we were looking at later packages/libraries/kernels etc for peewee
is that :

1) we wanted the live running environment to match the development
environment, as closely as possible, rather than having to perform some
weird configuration juggling to ensure all ~12 developers are working from
the same base, and that that the base dev setup and live setup match

As a note (I haven't looked into this yet ) some of the tools they use
(e.g. GTK2) I would have thought would need the later libraries to run -
if this is the case rather than mixing and matching libraries from
different versions, we'd prefer to use the one set of libs.

2) The hardware guys want the USB support that the 2.4 kernel offers.
While the 2.2 series can be patched to add USB support, that's (for
reasons of their own) not the path the want to take.

I had not heard of the glibc compatibility packages - they sound like they
may be worth a look - thanks for the tip.

I hope you can extract some sense from the above ramblings,
I really need a coke right about now :)

Kind Regards,
Delaney

"Mark Meade" <[email protected]>