[Peeweelinux-devel] read-only system

Derek Cassidy [email protected]
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:47:00 +0100

--------------000302010402040504080106

I've just got it to work... after about 6 hours!!!

I just tried changing the system to look like the cut down red hat version
I done previously so I changed the inetd.conf telnet line to
........ /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd

and then added the none /dev/pts ...... line to fstab and done a
mount /dev/pts on boot up

so when a telnet request comes in if you check inside the /dev/pts
folder a new pseuso device is created (even with readonly filesystem)

But I've been using readonly filesystems for a while now and never
had any problem with write access to mounted ram disks or serial lines.

Only sort of problem left which isnt really a problem for me is that
when init runs the mingetty consoles.. it never works with the system
readonly and I used to make the system read-write for that small time
while mingetty created the login prompt but I dont need it now.
So the init script only runs /bin/sh as I dont really use the system as a
terminal only as a login box, which is why I needed telnet working on the
device!

Adi Linden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My experiance has been that the device directory has to be read-write for
> an write access to devices to succeed. Even though, writing to the devices
> won't result in anything being written to the underlying filesystem. I'd
> be very interested in hearing if it's possible to write to the devices on
> a read-only filesystem.
>
> Adi
>
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Derek Cassidy wrote:
>
>> Has anyone any experience with read-only filesystems..
>> I created a small peeweelinux filesystem and put it on a
>> compact flash disk and made it readonly and I can telnet in
>>
>> I get this problem:
>>
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> telnetd: All network ports in use.
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>>
>> And telnet works ok if I have the /dev directory read-write??
>>
>> I have created read-only filesystems before and never had this
>> problem, anyone any ideas?

--------------000302010402040504080106

I just tried changing the system to look like the cut down red hat version<br>
I done previously so I changed the inetd.conf telnet line to<br>
........ /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd<br>
and then added the none /dev/pts ...... line to fstab and done a<br>
mount /dev/pts on boot up<br>
so when a telnet request comes in if you check inside the /dev/pts <br>
folder a new pseuso device is created (even with readonly filesystem)<br>
But I've been using readonly filesystems for a while now and never<br>
had any problem with write access to mounted ram disks or serial lines.<br>
Only sort of problem left which isnt really a problem for me is that<br>
when init runs the mingetty consoles.. it never works with the system<br>
readonly and I used to make the system read-write for that small time<br>
while mingetty created the login prompt but I dont need it now. <br>
So the init script only runs /bin/sh as I dont really use the system as a<br>
 terminal only as a login box, which is why I needed telnet working on the<br>
device!<br>
Adi Linden wrote:<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature"></pre>
--------------000302010402040504080106--