libpthreads OK!

Adi Linden [email protected]
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:03:39 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

> Thanks guys.  Installed it and it worked great.

Good to hear you're having success. It's one thing seeing lots of
downloads and hits on the webpage but another to hear from someone
successful using it!

> I looked at a copy of Red Hat 6.1 but it is using the 2.2.12 kernel
> and PeeWeeLinux 0.51 shipped with 2.2.14. Have you moved up to 6.2?

The kernel version of the development system doesn't have to be the same
as the PeeWeeLinux kernel version.

The system I am building the distribution system on is a RedHat 6.1 system
running in VMWare. The system I use to test PeeWeeLinux and build embedded
systems with is a RedHat 6.1 with 2.2.14 kernel at home and a RedHat 6.2
with 2.2.14 kernel at work.

I'd love to use VMWare for building embedded systems, too. But
unfortunately VMWare does not allow access to USB devices. At least I
haven't managed to do so.

> What do I need to do to compile the sources? The documentation says
> that I need Red Hat installed but not much else besides that. Has

Just a plain old RedHat 6.1 or RedHat 6.2 system and the PeeWeeLinux
source rpms.

> anyone patched PWL with RTLinux or RTAI?

I haven't...

> Do you need a hand with the documentation or anything?
> I don't have much spare time but I could  expand on the docs that you
> have as I'm learning.

Yes, the documantation is defenitely lacking. Getting documentation from
someone using PeeWeeLinux and having gone through all the glitches and
hickups would be great!

Keep in mind, though, that the project defaults menu will change and that
the whole section about loading a extracted filesystem onto the target
device will change as well as soon as rd_function has been integrated into
pwlconfig.

> I'm currently writing about building embedded systems with LabVIEW
> and Linux for Gary W. Johnson and Richard T. Jennings "LabVIEW
> Graphical Programming, 3 rd Edition" to be published early next year.
> I'm really excited about PeeWeeLinux because you guys made something
> hard into something pretty easy. You still need to be knowledgeable
> about how Linux works but PWL takes a _lot_ of the work out of
> trimming down or building up an embedded system.

I have to have a look at LabVIEW. The name rings a bell but that's about
it.

> We're going to try to show people how easy it is to build an embedded
> system using LabVIEW, Linux and VMware.  We plan on shipping one or
> more embedded systems with the book as VMware virtual machines that
> people can boot up and play with on their own computer. No extra
> hardware required! Then we'll point them to www.peeweelinux.com.

This is a neat idea! VMWare certainly opens a lot of possibilities. I
wonder if building a VMWare target device would be a usefull addition to
PeeWeeLinux?

TTYL,
Adi