Multiple Targets for PeeWee Linux

Adi Linden [email protected]
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:50:51 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Ralph,

Crapscape sucks...! Big time...! I use pine for email and vi for editing
:)

> > Bootlocation should not include the partition, just the device. The script
> > picks the proper partition.
> >
> Hmmmm....need to look into that - when do I use it now - mkBootDevice....

What does mkBootDevice do? I suspect you wouldn't need this anymore.

> >     # define the initrd size
> >     rd_initrd_size=                {3,4,5,8,9}
> >
> >     # define the safety margin for the boot partition
> >     rd_size_boot_margin=           {3,4,5}
> >
> >     # define the safety margin for fit in flash calculations
> >     rd_size_margin=                {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}
> >
> these in kb ?? or percent ??

All sizes are in kB

> 1. write a "main" function that
> -- reads the project.defaults file and converts those parameters into rd_xxx
> variables (or rename some of your variables to match the defaults)
> -- activates the choosen scheme as outlined in 1-6 above

So you'll change project.defaults to include the rd_functions parameters?

> 2. Call pwl_ramdisk or mkbootDevice from pwlconfig

Ok, I see, it's just a matter of name... pwl_ramdisk or mkbootDevice would
both call the appropriate function in rd_function...

> 3. Add parameters to project.defaults file as required.

Now if you add rd_ style paramters you won't need to translate those for
rd_function, except perhaps define rd_base prior to calling func_rd_env

> You might think about the "main" function and the variable names (note read
> project.defaults file to see the names of the variables used in pwl_xxx files).

I would think that the rd_functions script would replace the current
arrangement for configuring and loading a target device in pwlconfig. The
current method would be taken car of by '10. single r/w root partition'.

The rd_function script 'should' be safe to some degree even if a
configuration mistake is made. I.e. you specify /dev/hda as target but it
is also your current HD your working from. Part of the standard checks is
to see if there is any match for /dev/hda in the mounted devices. Since
it's not safe to fdisk or format a mounted partition the process will
aboard. Mind you, if you thesis or mp3 collection is on /dev/hdb and it's
a dual-boot WIN box... it'll be replaced by the latest and greatest
PeeWeeLinux... :)

Yup, I would think edit the projects default mechanism to include the
rd_function variables.

Followed by a routine to set the environment and variables for rd_function
followed by a call to the build function in rd_function. This last part I
played with before and it's pretty straight forward.

A last idea or variation...

If the rd_scheme variable is define in project.defaults it would be
possible to have a single

   Load Target Device -->

in the main menu. What this single command does and which target it will
build would be entirly based on what's configured in project.defaults.

So the script that defines project.defaults would have to provide the
selection of the targets partitioning scheme... Can you do radio buttons
in a menu (i.e. 10 selections that are exclusive, check 1 the other 9
uncheck?).

TTYL,
Adi