Todo

Richard Jennings [email protected]
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:38:38 -0800

--============_-1240793377==_============

Modular would certainly be better than making a different kernel for
every need. Sorry for adding to the noise, I was just thinking about
my own needs. ;-)

As long as I have your attention though.... Have you thought about
putting Eric Anderson's "silent" patch into the kernel. Eric posted a
patch to the linux embedded list last month that works great. Just
give lilo the line "debug=2" and all the kernel messages go away.
I've enclosed it in case you want it.

Richard

>Hi,
>
>The kernel is certainly a thorn in my side so to speak. The idea of an
>embedded kernel is to have it as small as possible. Yet, every platform
>has different requirements and demands different kernel modules, etc.
>
>One option would be to allow one to build a custom kernel by giving an
>option in pwlconfig that extracts kernel sources, and drops into a kernel
>configuration screen that allows for building a custom kernel. Now this is
>the Cadillac that might not be feasable.
>
>Another option would be to reduce the number of special purpose kernels
>and insead build a highly modularized kernel with virtually all options.
>Very similar to the stock RedHat kernel. It would be up to the individual
>user to deselect unneeded modules to conserve space. I tend to lean
>towards this solution. Realizing that there are a number of people using
>PWL already I don't want to make drastic changes to the kernel between
>releases. So depending on my time availability I plan on either adding a
>full blown all options 2.214 kernel or skip any changes to 2.2.14 and go
>right to the latest 2.4 beta kernel.
>
>Comments would be quite welcome here :)
>
>Another feature still in the works is a dependency checking routine in
>pwlconfig. I had one figured out and added it to one of the pwl_target
>(rd_functions) but never completed it. I used to have depended libs as
>part of the packages but that changed when rpm came in. So now we need a
>routine that checks the installed system for missing or unneeded libs...
>
>TTYL,
>Adi
>

>On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Richard Jennings wrote:
>
>>  Can you add nfs support to the kernel? I'm trying to mount a remote
>>  filesystem but nfs is not supported by the kernel.
>>
>>  Richard

--============_-1240793377==_============
 ; modification-date="Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:46:56 -0800"

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

:$(0TE'9ZG#j`BA4MD!"849K8G(4iG!%!!!!$hJ!!!!$Fj@4TCQBJ,8jeFL"XD@j
eH#j[FQPR,f&bBfJ[D6-i0LpLEfpd,f0[EA"bCA0cC@3[E@PcBbjM)'aTER9i,f&
bBfJ[D6-i0LpLEfpd,f0[EA"bCA0cC@3[E@PcBbjM$5dY,5"XD@jeH#j[FQPR,f&
bBfJ[D6-i0LpLEfpd,f0[EA"bCA0cC@3[E@PcBbjM#9GPC#"+G@iJ-M3J-M-k-c!
k-$JJ-6Nj1!dV+bXJE'PZGAJ[BA*MD#pT-cJf,f*[Eh3[BfpYF(*PFh0PC#pYDA0
M,Q-*4R*T)%CPBL!a15!a0$Sd0MS`0b!a16Nj$8"!)#dc0$NX15!V-c3j,$NJ3%!
0)!PPE(0P)(0PG(9`AfpeG("eG&pLG@CQCA*ID@CIGf9IFR9ZAfKTCfJSEABT1`d
J$5!*E@&VC@0bBbJT1`dY#A"eG(-S)P9ZBfpYF(*PFh0TEQFJ6'PZGAJZ,LiJ)LN
l$5X*,bT`GA4c+#*9EQ0[EA"bCA0cD@jR)%aTER9i,LiZ)#)T1bS[$5!*Ch9ZHQP
`+#Nl$5d*F(9dFbJL6fXX)'*[Eh4TEQFJG'KP)'YPFQjPE#jFEL)T1`dV#5mUF(9
dFbJL6fXX)'*[Eh4TEQFJG'KP)'YPFQjPE#jFEL)T1bS[$5!*D@BJ+'KTCfKIE'p
KC'9N+5"ME'pcC9p[GA4`GA4IBR9QCQ9bAfPQAhGPAh*eEPpSD@GS+'ef+6X0)!P
bCA4eFQiJD'PRD&pXEf&NC@3l$5"p$@4TCQBJ,8jeFL"XD@jeH#j[FQPR,fPZDA3
[E@&TELjM)'aTER9i,fPZDA3[E@&TELjM$5dY,5"XD@jeH#j[FQPR,fPZDA3[E@&
TELjM#9GPC#"+B@iJ-M!J-6Nk-6Jk06-J-6Nj13dV+bXJE'PZGAJ[D@jTG#pYB@P
Z,Q-*4R*T)%CPBL!a15!a0$Sd0$Sd-L!a16Nj$8"!)#da-$%h,$BJ+c%`-6FX-6%
J3%!0)!N*#A*[Eh4IE@peER4QE'&RFb!Q25"q690I8N426NaC1`dJ#3N*BfpZG'P
ZG@8l$5!*#Ad0+`N*D@BJ+#&cG(*ZBfe`+'aTEQ8X)Q4PBR9R25)X0LNT)(X0+`N
*#@aTEQ8J+cdJ0MX0+`N*#@0[ER0[E'9IE'pRE'9fC@`J25"cD@e`E'9IFh4bG'p
eE#KXD@jP,#!QE'PZC5`J-#Nl$5X*#3PMEfjdD@jeC6X0+`N*I3dJ#3PTCL!S)A0