Todo

Adi Linden [email protected]
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:56:59 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

The kernel is certainly a thorn in my side so to speak. The idea of an
embedded kernel is to have it as small as possible. Yet, every platform
has different requirements and demands different kernel modules, etc.

One option would be to allow one to build a custom kernel by giving an
option in pwlconfig that extracts kernel sources, and drops into a kernel
configuration screen that allows for building a custom kernel. Now this is
the Cadillac that might not be feasable.

Another option would be to reduce the number of special purpose kernels
and insead build a highly modularized kernel with virtually all options.
Very similar to the stock RedHat kernel. It would be up to the individual
user to deselect unneeded modules to conserve space. I tend to lean
towards this solution. Realizing that there are a number of people using
PWL already I don't want to make drastic changes to the kernel between
releases. So depending on my time availability I plan on either adding a
full blown all options 2.214 kernel or skip any changes to 2.2.14 and go
right to the latest 2.4 beta kernel.

Comments would be quite welcome here :)

Another feature still in the works is a dependency checking routine in
pwlconfig. I had one figured out and added it to one of the pwl_target
(rd_functions) but never completed it. I used to have depended libs as
part of the packages but that changed when rpm came in. So now we need a
routine that checks the installed system for missing or unneeded libs...

TTYL,
Adi