More pwlconfig stuff

Ralph Stickley [email protected]
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:13:59 -0800 (PST)

Hey,

--- Adi Linden <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> I am just going through running pwlconfig. It needs lxdialog. And the help
> message or error message is a bit inaccurate, at least for my system:
>
> [root@big Embedded_Build]# ./pwlconfig
> Utility program "lxdialog" not found
> ( do make Menuconfig and copy from /usr/src/linux/lxdialog )
> [root@big Embedded_Build]# cp /usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog
> scripts/
>
> The location is where lxdialog is located is a bit further into the source
> tree... Is lxdialog machine dependent? Couldn't we include a lxdialog for
> ease of use?

I wondered about that...I suppose including it is no problem (have to include
the source also ?)

> This is the existing menu:
>
>       Configure Project File System --->
>       Extract File System for Project --->
>       ----
>       Erase Disk-On-Chip --->
>       Load File System onto Disk-On-Chip --->
>       Install LInux LOader (LILO) to Disk-On-Chip
>       ----
>       Save Project
>       Manage Projects --->
>
> And some ideas of how to change things:
>
> The first 2 are fine, selecting what to use and extracting it into a spare
> directory.
>
> I think the next 3 could be submenued to facilitate dealing with different
> options like Disk-On-Chip, ramdisk, bootable iso... Like this:

Where I'm headed now, the device is specified in the configuration file
deviceType="DOC"
deviceName="Disk-On-Chip"
-or-
deviceTYPE="FLASH"
deviceName="Sandisk Flash Disk (IDE)"

where the Name is assigned by the user for their specific device.  So,
I am building the menu items as follows:

       Erase $deviceName --->
       Load File System onto $deviceName --->
       Install LInux LOader (LILO) to $deviceName

Erase/load and LILO being the operations for embedding linux in any device.
(not sure about cdrom thing below...does CDROM use LILO ?? hmmmm)

>       ---
>       Uncompressed filesystem on Disk-On-Chip
>       Compressed filesystem
>       Bootable ramdisk system
>       Bootable iso image
>       ---
>
> The first item would contain all the DOC specific stuff. The second item
> would create a tar.gz file from the files located in the temporary mount
> directory.
>
> The ramdisk section could be something like this:
>
>       ---
>       Create ramdisk
>       Create bootable filesystem w/syslinux
>       ---
>
>       The first step would create the ramdisk image. The second step would
>       create a filesystem including all files necessary to boot the
>       ramdisk using syslinux from a FAT12 or FAT 16 formatted disk
>       partition.
>
> And the fourth part would do just that. An iso image that can be processed
> by any burner...

For the ram disk, I was planning on including another line in the main menu
(if the projectCompress parameter = "YES" )

      Configure Project File System --->
      Compress FIle System -->
      Extract File System for Project --->
      ----
Selecting Compress File System will allow you to specify which files are
included in the compressed image and which ones get copied without change.
Then when you select "Extract the file system image gets built and
then the compressed image gets made.

> What exactly does the "save Projects" step do? Would it be possible to
> create a menu item that saves (tgz) all the files that make up a
> configured project to make it portable and drop into a furure release of
> pwlconfig and PWL?

Hey, that sounds neat...no problem, maybe that would be Archive Project
or something.  Save Project just saves your current "Temporary" changes,
everything you do configuring a project is "temporary" until you
decide to make it "permanant"

> Coming to think of it, there aren't that many options, perhaps everything
> could stay on the main page just devided by the little '---' ?
>
> One last thought about the rpm vs tar issue...
>
> rpm uses a .rpmrc file. With it its supposed to be possible to totally
> configure rpm. Directories where to build and extract file systems, etc.
> I'll be playing with it for a bit, too.
>
> The patch I did for boa is an idea to play with. I don't think its
> necessarily the best solution. rpm has a lot for it, too.

not there yet...your a few days ahead of me :-)