More pwlconfig stuff

Adi Linden [email protected]
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:13:03 -0600 (CST)

Hi Ralph,

I am just going through running pwlconfig. It needs lxdialog. And the help
message or error message is a bit inaccurate, at least for my system:

[root@big Embedded_Build]# ./pwlconfig
Utility program "lxdialog" not found
( do make Menuconfig and copy from /usr/src/linux/lxdialog )
[root@big Embedded_Build]# cp /usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog
scripts/

The location is where lxdialog is located is a bit further into the source
tree... Is lxdialog machine dependent? Couldn't we include a lxdialog for
ease of use?

This is the existing menu:

      Configure Project File System --->
      Extract File System for Project --->
      ----
      Erase Disk-On-Chip --->
      Load File System onto Disk-On-Chip --->
      Install LInux LOader (LILO) to Disk-On-Chip
      ----
      Save Project
      Manage Projects --->

And some ideas of how to change things:

The first 2 are fine, selecting what to use and extracting it into a spare
directory.

I think the next 3 could be submenued to facilitate dealing with different
options like Disk-On-Chip, ramdisk, bootable iso... Like this:

      ---
      Uncompressed filesystem on Disk-On-Chip
      Compressed filesystem
      Bootable ramdisk system
      Bootable iso image
      ---

The first item would contain all the DOC specific stuff. The second item
would create a tar.gz file from the files located in the temporary mount
directory.

The ramdisk section could be something like this:

      ---
      Create ramdisk
      Create bootable filesystem w/syslinux
      ---

      The first step would create the ramdisk image. The second step would
      create a filesystem including all files necessary to boot the
      ramdisk using syslinux from a FAT12 or FAT 16 formatted disk
      partition.

And the fourth part would do just that. An iso image that can be processed
by any burner...

What exactly does the "save Projects" step do? Would it be possible to
create a menu item that saves (tgz) all the files that make up a
configured project to make it portable and drop into a furure release of
pwlconfig and PWL?

Coming to think of it, there aren't that many options, perhaps everything
could stay on the main page just devided by the little '---' ?

One last thought about the rpm vs tar issue...

rpm uses a .rpmrc file. With it its supposed to be possible to totally
configure rpm. Directories where to build and extract file systems, etc.
I'll be playing with it for a bit, too.

The patch I did for boa is an idea to play with. I don't think its
necessarily the best solution. rpm has a lot for it, too.

TTYL,
Adi