RPM Loader Script - V0.1

Ralph Stickley [email protected]
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:44:03 -0800 (PST)

> The problem with using binary rpms is that they might require PAM and/or
> ncurses...

awww..geeze, hadn't though of that...well, this might work for *Some* rpms...
If you get a chance to run:
./scripts/pwl_rpmload EXE fvwm2

maybe you could tell me what needs to be done here (or script it :-))
to build all the files I need.  I was going to install the package
tomorrow and see if it works (slow, painful process for me).

> You do 'ldd binary_name' or 'ldd lib_name'. That will result in a bunch of
> libs required for those libs and binaries to function. The 'file' command
> will tell you if the libs or binaries are stripped. The stripping can be
> done with 'objcopy' or 'strip'...

Hmmmm...I got statically linked on a few of them...I think this is
going to be a manual process for a while. I'll build the depends file,
if you can think of any other automation I can add, let me know..
PWL Package building...job security for linux hackers!

> > To Do: load the source rpm, install it, copy the source files
> > and compile everything.  Then copy the binaries from the SRC
> > directory into the pkg.files directory.....
>
> Yup, that would be the best way of doing it. Or... download the original
> sources and compile from scratch. Then make a build script and a patch
> file... Otherwise it might get messy if we build some packages from rpm
> and others from tar...

Hey, if you have a link to each of the source files...we can ftp them
over instead of using the RH CD...not bad...I guess RH does some
changes from the originals, not sure of other advantages of ftp vs RH RPM...

> > To Do:
> > I need to integrate this script, with the "package" script (should we
> > change this to pwl_package?? ) under the "Package Management" Main
> > menu Item.
>
> package just creates a package from the contents of Embedded_Build/mnt
> doesn't it

yep..but my lastest version of your original lets you pass in the
directory you want to package...ie:

./scripts/rpm_load EXE fvwm2
./scripts/package fvwm2

Creates:
fvwm2.list
fvwm2.tar  (1.1Mb - ouch again!)

Anyhow, I guess this is the "idiots tool for package building" (just
my speed :-) your packages are still the best! But, Hey, if you
have 128MB flash disk...

Later,
Ralph