X startup stuff - questions

Ralph Stickley [email protected]
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:02:34 -0800 (PST)

> > 3. mknod /dev/mouse c 10 1
>
> Wouldn't the above be part of the installation process of putting X onto
> the flash device/into the filesystem?

I hadn't thought of that...the /dev/mouse /dev/usb ... stuff that X uses
would be part of the X package. Good fit!

I did notice that the normal RH devices directory
contains an ungodly number of nodes in it.  Also, configuring the
_base_filesystem takes a while because of the large number of files included in
this.

Would it make sense to have a _devices package ? This would shrink the size of
_base_filesystem file and configuring both would be quicker.

> > 4. insmod unix.o
> > 5. xfs -droppriv -daemon -port -1
> > 6. XF86_SVGA
>
> I would do a startup script to run from the etc/rcS.d directory. All
> scripts in there are run automatically at startup in alphanumerical order.
> To have good control over what runs when they're numbered, like: 05modules
> 20firewall, etc....

 Oh...there they be...in my standard RH, I have XFS and gpm(which I don't know
if I need or not).  Now I just have to go back and dig into the magic that is
RH Init stuff...insmod doesn't seem to get called...geeze, could this *be* more
confusing? (QNX has a very clean startup process conpared to this, but I guess
thats the price you pay for flexibility!)

Thanks,
Ralph